This paintinghas been described by the Medjugorje Visionaries as closest to capturing how the Blessed Mother appears to them.
What Does Our Lady Look Like
From Medjugorje.hr http://www.medjugorje.hr/en/medjugorje-phenomenon/detailed-description/
Over the years people questioned the visionaries of Medjugorje about Our Lady’s appearance, but the most successful inquirer by far was the author, Fr. Janko Bubalo, a Franciscan of the Hercegovinian province.
He had followed the events associated with the apparitions from the beginning. For a number of years he heard confessions in Medjugorje and acquired an intimate knowledge of Medjugorje spirituality.
One result of his interest is his book A Thousand Encounters with the Blessed Virgin Mary in Medjugorje (1985).
It met with worldwide success and received a reward. In this book Vicka, the visionary, in answer to Fr. Bubalo’s questions, gives a detailed account of her encounters with Our Blessed Lady. It is true that Fr. Bubalo had interviews with the other visionaries, but in the end decided to publish only the conversations he had with Vicka, because it seemed to him that she answered his questions in the most comprehensive way. Besides, what the other visionaries had to say did not differ essentially from Vicka’s accounts.
Time has passed and attempts at portraying Our Lady have multiplied. Many of those attempts have been contrary to what the visionaries have said. Fr. Janko, although up in years (born 1913), made another attempt. He sent a survey sheet to the visionaries in which he interrogates them about Our Lady’s appearance. Most of the visionaries responded to Fr. Janko’s attempt (Ivan Dragievi, Vicka Ivankovi, Marija Pavlovi Lunetti, Ivanka Ivankovi Elez, and Mirjana Dragievi Soldo). They testified to the survey number of their own answers by personal signatures at Humac in 1992. Jakov Olo did not fill out his survey sheet for justifiable reasons, but he agrees with what the others visionaries said and had nothing special to add.
We now present the questions in full and the results of the visionaries’ brief answers.
1. As the first thing, tell me: how tall is the Madonna that you regularly see?
About 165 cm – Like me (Vicka ) 5 feet 5 inches]
2. Does she look rather “slender”, slim or…?
She looks rather slender.
3. About how many kilograms do you think she weighs?
About 60 kilograms (132 pounds).
4. About how old do you think she is?
From 18 to 20 years old.
5. When she is with the Child Jesus does she look older?
She looks as usual – she looks the same.
6. When Our Lady is with you is she always standing or…
7. On what is she standing?
On some little cloud.
8. What color is that little cloud?
The cloud is a whitish color.
9. Have you ever seen her kneel?
Never! (Vicka, Ivan, Ivanka )
10. Naturally your Madonna also has her own face. How does it look: round or rather long – oval?
It’s rather long – oval – normal.
11. What color is her face?
Normal – rather light – rosy checks
12. What color is her brow?
Normal – mainly like her face.
13. What kind of lips does Our Lady have – rather thick or thin?
Normal – beautiful – they are more thin.
14. What color are they’?
Reddish – natural color.
15. Does Our Lady have any dimples, as we people usually have?
Ordinarily she doesn’t – perhaps a little, if she smiles (Mirjana).
16. Is there some pleasant smile ordinarily noticeable on her countenance?
Maybe – more like some indescribable gentleness – there’s a smile visible as if somehow under her skin (Vicka).
17. What is the color of Our Lady’s eyes?
Her eyes are wonderful! Clearly blue (all).
18. Are they rather big or ?
More normal – maybe a little bit bigger (Marija).
19. How are her eye-lashes?
20. What color are her eye-lashes?
Normal – no special color.
21. Are they thinner or ?
Ordinary – normal.
22. Of course, Our Lady also has a nose. What is it like: sharp or?
A nice, little nose (Mirjana) – normal, harmonizing with her face (Marija).
23. And Our Lady’s eyebrows?
Her eyebrows are thin – normal – more of a black color.
24. How is your Madonna dressed?
She is clothed in a simple woman’s dress.
25. What color is her dress?
Her dress is grey – maybe a little bluish-grey (Mirjana).
26. Is the dress pulled in around the body or does it fall freely?
It falls freely.
27. How far down does her dress reach?
All the way down to the little cloud on which she’s standing – it blends into the cloud.
28. How far up around the neck?
Normally – up to the beginning of her neck.
29. Is a part of Our Lady’s neck visible?
Her neck is visible, but nothing of her bosom
30. How far do her sleeves reach’?
Up to her palms
31. Is Our Lady’s dress hemmed with anything?
No. not with anything.
32. Is there anything pulled in or tied around Our Lady’s waist?
No, there’s nothing.
33. On the body of the Madonna that you see, is her femininity noticeable?
Of course it’s noticeable! But nothing specially (Vicka).
34. Is there anything else on Our Lady besides this dress described?
She has a veil on her head.
35. What color is that veil?
The veil is a white color.
36. Pure white or?
37. How much of her does the veil cover?
It covers her head, shoulders and complete body from the back and from the sides.
38. How far down does it reach?
It reaches down to the little cloud, also like her dress.
39. How far does it cover in front?
It covers from the back and from the sides.
40. Does the veil look firmer, thicker than Our Lady’s dress?
No it doesn’t – it’s similar to the dress.
41. Is there any kind of jewelry on her?
There is no kind of jewelry.
42. Is it trimmed with anything at the ends?
Not with anything. (Her veil)
43. Does Our Lady, have any kind of ornament at all?
She has no kind.
44. For example, on her head or around the head?
Yes – she has a crown of stars on her head.
45. Are there always stars around her head?
Ordinarily there are – there always are (Vicka).
46. For example, when she appears with Jesus?
She’s the same way.
47. How many stars are there?
There are twelve of them.
48. What color are they?
Golden – gold color
49. Are they in any way connected with each other?
They are connected with something – so that they can stay up (Vicka)
50. Is a little bit of Our Lady’s hair visible?
A little bit of her hair is visible.
51. Where do you see it?
A little above her forehead – from under the veil – from the left side.
52. What color is it?
53. Is either of Our Lady’s ears ever visible’?
No, they are never visible.
54. How is that?
Well, the veil covers her ears.
55. What is Our Lady usually looking at during the apparition?
Usually she is looking at us – sometimes at something else, at what she’s showing.
56. How does Our Lady hold her hands about her?
Her hands are free, relaxed extended.
57. When does she hold her hands folded?
Almost never – maybe sometimes at the “Glory be.”
58. Does she ever move, gesture with her hands during the apparitions
She does not gesture, except when she shows something.
59. Which way are her palms turned when her hands are extended?
Her palms are usually relaxed upwards – her fingers are relaxed the same way.
60. Are her fingernails then also visible?
They are partially visible.
61. How are they – which color are they?
Natural color – clean cut fingernails.
62. Have you ever seen Our Lady’s legs?
No – never – her dress always covers them.
63. Finally, is Our Lady really beautiful, as you have said?
Well, really we haven’t told you anything about that – her beauty cannot be described – it is not our kind of beauty – that is something ethereal -something heavenly – something that we’ll only see in Paradise – and then only to a certain degree.
Source: © Information Centre “Mir” Medjugorje www.medjugorje.hr
Since you’re here …
… we have a small favor to ask. More people are reading Mystic Post than ever but advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. Mystic Post’s independent journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too.
High quality journalism is essential intellectual nourishment. The generosity of providing such a service without a paywall deserves recognition and supportGiacomo P, Italy
I’ve been enjoying Mystic Posts for several years now. Today, when so much seems to be going wrong in the world, Mystic Post is working hard to provide truthful Catholic news. I want to support that Robb R. UK
I appreciate there not being a paywall: it is more democratic for the media to be available for all and not a commodity to be purchased by a few. I’m happy to make a contribution so others with less means still have access to information. Annonymous Donator
If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure.
$1.00 $10,00 $25.00 $1,000 – Any contribution makes a big difference.
With a $25.00 donation receive a free miraculous medal. We can really use it – THANKS!
Without your charitable GIFTS it would be hard to continue spreading Heaven's messages. Please consider helping us keep the site going strong. Thank you and may God Bless you all.