CHICAGO (CBS) — What should one do in the event of a nuclear attack?
Not long ago, it seemed like an abstract question. That was before President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, who have been escalating military threats recently.
Just today, Trump said his earlier warning about bringing “fire and fury” upon the communist nation may not have been tough enough. When asked what could be tougher, he said, “Well you’ll see.”
The threat of nuclear war is much scarier that the reality, as the New York Times notes in this report.
The City Of Chicago, as it happens, has a whole page dedicated to the topic on its website.
IF YOU ARE NEAR THE BLAST:
- Turn away and close and cover your eyes to prevent damage to your sight
- Drop to the ground face down and place your hands under your body
- Remain flat until the heat and two shock waves have passed
IF YOU ARE OUTSIDE WHEN THE BLAST OCCURS:
- Find something to cover your mouth and nose, such as a scarf, handkerchief, or other cloth
- Remove any dust from your clothes by brushing, shaking, and wiping in a ventilated area. However, cover your mouth and nose while you do this.
- Move to a shelter, basement, or other underground area, preferably located away from the direction that the wind is blowing.
- Remove clothing since it may be contaminated. If possible, take a shower, wash your hair, and change clothes before you enter the shelter.
IF YOU ARE ALREADY IN A SHELTER OR BASEMENT:
- Cover your mouth and nose with a facemask or other material (such as a scarf or handkerchief) until you know that the fallout cloud has passed.
- Shut off ventilation systems and seal doors or windows. After the fallout cloud has passed, unseal the doors and windows to allow some air circulation.
- Stay inside until authorities say it is safe to come out
- Listen to the local radio or television for information and advice. Authorities may direct you to stay in your shelter or evacuate to a safer place.
- If you must go out, cover your mouth and nose with a damp towel
- Use stored food and drinking water. Do not eat local fresh food or drink water from open water supplies.
- Clean and cover any open wounds on your body
North Korea, according to experts, currently doesn’t have the capability to launch a nuclear missile at Chicago. Although their ambitions to become a nuclear military power are unquestioned.
Risks of N Korea-US Conflict Turning Into War are High – Lavrov
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that risks of conflict between the US and North Korea turning into a full-fledged war are high, this would involve a huge number of victims.
“The risks are very high, especially regarding the rhetoric [between the two countries]. We hear direct threats to use force. At the same time, US Secretary of Defense Mattis stated once again: Yes, this will involve a huge number of human casualties, and yet talks about a pre-emptive strike on North Korea, talks in Pyongyang, that it is necessary to strike the island of Guam, where several US military bases are located, do not stop,” Lavrov said.
“Of course, this concerns us very much,” Lavrov said at a forum, adding that when it almost comes to a fight “the first step away from danger should be taken by the stronger, smarter side.”
Since you’re here …
… we have a small favor to ask. More people are reading Mystic Post than ever but advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. Mystic Post’s independent journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too.
High quality journalism is essential intellectual nourishment. The generosity of providing such a service without a paywall deserves recognition and supportGiacomo P, Italy
I’ve been enjoying Mystic Posts for several years now. Today, when so much seems to be going wrong in the world, Mystic Post is working hard to provide truthful Catholic news. I want to support that Robb R. UK
I appreciate there not being a paywall: it is more democratic for the media to be available for all and not a commodity to be purchased by a few. I’m happy to make a contribution so others with less means still have access to information. Annonymous Donator
If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure.
$1.00 $10,00 $25.00 $1,000 – Any contribution makes a big difference.
With a $25.00 donation receive a free miraculous medal. We can really use it – THANKS!