- Bourdain hanged himself in his hotel room in Kaysersberg, France, while in town shooting Parts Unknown
- His close friend Éric Ripert, owner of New York’s renowned restaurant Le Bernardin, found him dead
- Bourdain rose to fame with his memoir Kitchen Confidential, and became a household name on TV
- The travel host and author was also very open about his past struggles with addiction to heroin
- He leaves behind his 11-year-old daughter, Ariane and was married twice to Ottavia Busia and Nancy Putkoski
- Bourdain most recently dated actress Asia Argento, who is one of Harvey Weinstein’s accusers
- It’s unclear if they were still together, as Argento was pictured embracing journalist Hugo Clement this week
- Last week, Bourdain bought a painting with the ominous title ‘The sky is falling, I am learning to live with it’
Asia Argento has issued a statement following the unexpected death of her boyfriend Anthony Bourdain, who was found dead from a suicide on Friday.
In a statement posted to Twitter, the actress remembered the 61-year-old celebrity chef as ‘brilliant’ and her ‘protector’.
‘Anthony gave all of himself in everything that he did. His brilliant, fearless spirit touched and inspired so many, and his generosity knew no bounds. He was my love, my rock, my protector. I am beyond devastated. My thoughts are with his family. I would ask that you respect their privacy and mine,’ Argento wrote.
Bourdain hanged himself while staying at the Le Chambard hotel in Kaysersberg, France, where he was filming an upcoming episode of his CNN show Parts Unknown, according to French media. Rooms at the hotel sell for $263 to $423 U.S. dollars a night.
His close friend Éric Ripert, owner of New York City’s famed Le Bernardin restaurant and an Alsace native, found him dead Friday morning.
‘Anthony was a dear friend,’ Ripert later told the New York Times. ‘He was an exceptional human being so inspiring and generous. One of the great storytellers of our time who connected with so many. I wish him peace. My love and prayers are with his family, friends and loved ones.’