Fr. Amorth, who died in 2016 at the age of 91, was the chief exorcist of the diocese of Rome for over 30 years. He performed thousands of exorcisms during his lifetime, and he wrote several books about his experiences.
In his book “An Exorcist Tells His Story,” Fr. Amorth said that the devil is “a real and present danger” to Catholics. He warned that the devil can possess people, but he can also influence people without possessing them. He said that the devil’s goal is to lead people away from God, and he is especially active in times of crisis.
HERE ARE 5 WAYS CATHOLICS CAN PROTECT THEMSELVES AGAINST THE DEVIL
- Live a life of prayer and virtue. Fr. Amorth said that prayer strengthens your spiritual defenses, and that virtue makes you less attractive to the devil. He recommended praying the Rosary, the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and other traditional Catholic prayers. He also said that it is important to live a life of virtue, avoiding sin and temptation.
- Wear a sacramental. A sacramental is a physical object that has been blessed by a priest and that can help to protect you from evil. Fr. Amorth recommended wearing a crucifix, a rosary, or a St. Benedict medal.
- Seek spiritual direction. If you are feeling tempted or attacked by the devil, it is important to seek spiritual direction from a priest or another trusted spiritual advisor. They can help you to identify the source of the temptation and to develop strategies for resisting it.
- Attend Mass regularly. Mass is a powerful source of grace that can help to protect you from the devil. Fr. Amorth said that it is especially important to attend Mass on Sundays, which is the Lord’s Day.
- Confess your sins regularly. Confession is a sacrament that cleanses you of your sins and makes you more open to God’s grace. Fr. Amorth said that it is important to confess your sins regularly, even if you do not feel like you have committed any serious sins.
ADDITIONALLY, HERE ARE 5 things that exorcist Fr. Gabriele Amorth warned Catholics about the devil:
- The devil is real and he is active in the world.
- The devil can possess people, but he can also influence people without possessing them.
- The devil’s goal is to lead people away from God.
- The devil is especially active in times of crisis, such as war or natural disasters.
- The best way to protect yourself from the devil is to live a life of prayer and virtue.