Throughout the history of the Church, there have been reports of numerous Eucharistic miracles. However, on November 7, 1999, one was recorded. The Archbishop of Lyon at the time, the late Cardinal Billé, was celebrating mass in the small basilica in Lourdes. With him were the Archbishop of France, Cardinal Jean-Marie Lustiger, many French bishops, numerous priests and all the heads of Trappist monasteries around the world. The ceremony was broadcast live on French television, so the miracle was seen all over France at the time.

What is happening is incredible. As soon as the cardinal places his hands over the host, it rises and separates from the vessel, and then floats!

Watch the video and keep your eyes on the host:

The miracle of the flying host in the burning tabernacle

This is not the first time in history that the host, or the Body of Christ, floats. A miracle also happened in 1608 on All Souls’ Day in the venerable Benedictine monastery of Faverney, Diocese of Besancon, near the Swiss border.

In the afternoon, many pilgrims came to worship the Most Holy Altar Sacrament, but as the night drew closer, there were fewer and fewer of them. When the Benedictine Garnier was left alone and tired from a hard day in the confessional at around 11 p.m., he also decided to rest a little. He extinguished all the candles, leaving only two lamps burning in front of the Holy Altar Sacrament. Then he went to his cell.

When priest Garnier returned to the church early Monday morning at 3 o’clock, thick clouds of smoke were pouring out of the church when the door was opened. He noticed with astonishment the last flicker of fire in the place where the altar had been with the Holy of Holies exposed. He hastily called the six brothers who immediately started looking for a sign with the Holy One in the thick smoke.

They searched the wreckage in vain. The wooden altar was completely demolished and burned, one candlestick was melted, and the other fell and broke. The marble slab, on which the indicator stood, lay under the ashes and embers, broken into three pieces and so hot that they could not even touch it.

In the meantime the people of Feverney came with the pilgrims to help save what could be saved. Father Gernier now deeply regretted that he had left the Holy One alone. At that moment, a shout of joy was heard in the smoky church. A novice named Brenier, who was helping to look for the holy hosts, saw, looking up, a display with the holy hosts floating freely in the air high above the bars of the choir.

Father Garnier excitedly and involuntarily moved his hand towards the sign. A colleague prevented him from doing so by warning him that an authentic Eucharistic miracle was happening right here in front of their eyes. Everyone present saw the miracle, the undamaged host in the display which was floating without any support or support because the altar was completely burnt. Even all the bars of the choir collapsed before the eyes of many pilgrims, and the floating sign did not tremble at all.

Overcome with pious admiration, all those present fell on their knees before the Holy Altar Sacrament, which remained undamaged in the flames. The monks, who could not find their way right away, quickly called the Capuchins from Vesoul, who were renowned as excellent theologians, to consult with them on what to do next. The riders dispersed to the surrounding villages and spread the good news.

However, the miracle of the floating sign still lasted, not only those 800 residents of Faverney but also 9,000 to 10,000 pilgrims could observe the miracle for 33 hours, which lasted from Whit Monday to Whit Tuesday, and thus personally convince themselves of its truth.